A drenching rainstorm lasting thirty minutes on February 29, left 942 residents in the Yendi municipality homeless, authorities said. The storm also destroyed 91 homes and 368 rooms. The rain storm is the first in the northern region this year.
Two people including an 8-year old named Saeed were victims of the storm. Saeed had his right leg broken while a 9-year old girl also sustained a deep cut on her right eye.
Five teachers from both primary, junior and senior high schools who took loans to build homes are in a state of total confusion after the storm destroyed their properties.
According to the teachers, they were yet to service the loans when the storm struck. The situation, the teachers said, has affected their performance in school.
"I go in the morning to register my presence and return because I don't know what to do for now with my property," a primary school teacher, Salifu Issah, narrated his frustration to Zaa News.
He continued, "We are like that in the night, the weather is hot so we are sleeping outside and we don't know what to do when the rain comes."
While some of the victims are struggling with their injuries others thanked Allah for protecting them. Victims of the storm are staying with friends and relatives for the time being.
Yendi Municipal Chief Executive, Alhaji Issah Zakaria toured the affected areas together with officials of Yendi Assembly in the municipality and described the disaster as very serious and called for external support for the victims.
The assembly, Alhaji Zakaria said, has submitted a report of the situation to the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) for assistance to lessen the plight of the victims.
The MCE recalled two years ago when the municipality was hit with the same disaster and several appeals to residents to desist from from using substandard building materials and the need to plant trees around their houses.
This appealed he noted was not heeded to. The MCE deplored the use of substandard materials in the area and in the northern region as a whole and urged them to use quality building materials and also consult building engineers to avoid situations such as what happened on February 29.
The Paramount Chief of Bunkpurugu, Alhaji Abuba Nasimong has attributed the protracted chieftaincy crisis in his traditional area to the delay in adjudicating the case in court. The conflict has so far claimed 13 lives.
According to the chief, the case has been pending in court for nine years, since he was enskinned as the paramount chief of the Bunkpurugu Traditional Area by the Overlord of the Mamprugu Kingdom, Nayiri, Naa Bohugu Mahami Abdulai Sheriga.
He explained that eleven people drawn from the Jamong and Jafouk families contested for the skin but seven were shortlisted. And at the end of the process the wisdom of the Nayiri prevailed and he was chosen. However, his enskinment did not go down well with some members of the Jamong family, who are contesting it in court.
Some members of the Jamong family, he said, refused to pay homage to him and have been tormenting him since. The Bunkpurugu chief believes the speedy adjudication of the case, which is pending before the high court in Kumasi, will bring a lasting solution to the area within two weeks.
He told the acting Inspector General of Police( IGP) that an elderly person came to pay homage to him but was shot and killed in broad day light upon his return home.
Two events, the chief said, triggered the current clashes. One retired army officer based in Sunyani in the Brong -Ahafo Region recently held a meeting with some members of the Jamong faction, which was preceded by violence.
The second was the performance of a funeral rites by the Jamong family withoutrecourse to him. The Jamong family, however disputed allegations that they are disrespecting the paramount chief of Bunkpurugu.
According to them, some suspects believed to be perpetrators of the recent killing are walking freely in the Bunkpurugu township, which is angering the victims’ families.
The family said the conflict in the area can only be resolved, if it is left to the two families without the involvement of the Lo clan which they claim has joined the fight.
In 2014, the families were made to made to sign an undertaking in the presence of the then district chief executive with the understanding that should any of the sides break it, their leaders would be held responsible.
However, the families did not live up to their promises; they broke the pledge and engaged in the burning of each other's houses on October 18th, 2014, after the whole Bunkpurugu township was plunged into a blackout.