The Chereponi traditional council has cautioned the government not sow seed of conflict in their attempt to create new regions.
According to the council, the recent activities of the commission of inquiry that include holding meetings with stakeholders, are dangerous and could plunge the region into conflict.
Some youth with placards some of which read: "Don't sow seeds of conflict," "Chereponi says no to North Eastern Region" "No N.E.R," "DAGBON is where we belong," and "We are for peace."
At a durbar of chiefs and people in Chereponi to restate their position, the regent, Feme Jaminja Malta Yombu, vehemently disagreed with any attempt to include Chereponi in the proposed region. In terms of proximity, he said Chereponi is closer to Yendi to any Nalerigu. The regent said, he has not delegated anybody to be part of any meeting organized by the commission in Tamale.
He said: "I and my people want to remain part of the north eastern corridor region which capital will be in Yendi and not in the north eastern region."
He added that he and 27 chiefs in the area signed in favor of the proposal for north eastern corridor region but refused to sign that of north eastern region spearheaded by the Mamprugu traditional area.
He went on to disassociate council members from being part of the proposed north eastern region, adding that, "We suspect the recent selected few people to be part of the regional reorganization commission forum in Tamale was stage managed and those who pose as chiefs representing Chereponi have no authority to do so," he said. "We have maintained our position that we are not against the creation but we want to be part of Northern region where we pay allegiance to the overlord."
The Regent told pressmen at his residence that chiefs in the area are enskinned by the overlord of Dagbon, the Ya Naa and he attends meetings at northern regional house of chiefs. Chereponi can't be part of north eastern region and attend meetings at the northern Regional House of Chiefs.
"We noted with great concern that the authority of the chiefdom of Chereponi emanate from Yani(Dagbon), and it is our wish to maintain the status quo of being in the same region as Yendi, that’s the Eastern Corridor Region. It is a recipe for confusion and we don't want any conflict in future because we have healthy relationship with the Mamprusi for long.
The regent and other chiefs in the Chereponi traditional area cautioned the government not make mistake to breach the peace path.
The Regent outlined six reasons for which he and his people can’t be part of north eastern region;
1. Chereponi is far from Walewale or Nalerigu, one of the towns likely to be the capital in the proposed North Eastern Region.
2. We have not heard any reaction to our petition from you and have not heard from the commission either
3. A meeting, I am told, was organized by the commission in Tamale on the 19th of March 2018 and 10th of this month, without notification to me and my chiefs
4. Even though at that said meeting some people portrayed themselves as chiefs from Chereponi area, they were there not on my authorization.
5. I am beginning to have the feeling of a stage managed process, to arm twist the people of Chereponi into joining the N.E.R through a handful of people who are pursuing their personal agenda.
6. The Feme signed the proposal for the creation of Eastern Corridor Region.It is a recipe for confusion and we don't want any conflict in future because we have healthy relationship with the Mamprusi for long. They have cautioned the government not make mistake to breach the peace path.