Your Most Reliable and Dependable Source

Mastermind Behind Attack On TTH CEO Granted Bail

A Tamale district magistrate court 2, presided over by His Honor Anthony Aduku Aidoo, has granted a 10,000 Ghana cedis bail with two sureties to Mr. Baba Alhassan, a prime suspect of the Monday attack on the Teaching Hospital.  

The bail required that the three guarantors reside in Tamale and are government workers with monthly salary not less than 1, 000 Ghana cedis. The court also directed that both the suspect and the sureties submit all of their traveling documents to the court’s registrar.  

The court was packed with the governing New Patriotic Party activists and sympathizers of Mr. Alhassan amidst heavy armed police personnel.

It may be recalled that in the immediate aftermath of the attack on the hospital, Mr. Alhassan vainly attempted to rationalize the action with a statement in which he said the action was borne out of exasperation.

He was arrested on Thursday morning at his residence by the police over his alleged involvement in the ouster of the acting CEO of TTH.

Mr. Alhassan was subsequently charged with assault, offensive conduct and unlawful entry. Counsel for the accused, Mr. Mohammed Shaibu told the court that the burden of proof lies on the prosecutor.

He told the court that his client didn’t know that there was any attempt to steal anything at the hospital or harm anyone as per the facts presented by the prosecutor.

“My client was not part of those who were captured on video driving out the TTH CEO,” Mr. Shaibu argued.

He also argued that the charges preferred against his client were misdemeanor and therefore prayed the court to grant him bail.

He said his client was a known person in Tamale and will not run away from the court.

Delivery his judgment, Judge Aidoo made it clear that it is high time people took full responsibility for their actions.

He said even though the accused person may not have been captured on tape, his actions may have caused some people the right to access healthcare at the hospital because the strike action of workers at TTH was linked to the CEO’s forced removal.

The case has been adjourned to 3rd September, 2018.

With his freedom restored, Mr. Alhassan walked out of the court room and met several sympathizers and family members.


Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.